News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/27/2018 3:44:02 PM to 11/28/2018 10:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Fountain Valley News

Posted on: November 28, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Christmas Tree & Holiday Decoration Safety

Xmas tree

One of every four home Christmas Tree fires is caused by electrical problems. Although these types of fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas Tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires. One cause, accounting for 25% of all Christmas Tree fires, is a heat source too close to the tree. Make sure your tree is at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents. 

Home candle fires peak on Christmas, New Year's Day and Christmas Eve, starting over 1/3 of home decoration structure fires. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns. If you are decorating with light strands, read manufacture's instructions for the number of light strands to connect and don't overload outlets. 

If you are decorating with a live tree here are some tips from the National Fire Protection Association. 

ChristmasTreeSafetyTips (1)

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fountain Valley News