If you are cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving, Fountain Valley Fire Department would like to remind everyone that the National Fire Protection Agency strongly discourages the use of turkey fryers. Here is a video showing the dangers of frying a turkey.
Turkey Fryer Danger
Will you be decorating over the holiday weekend? Between 2012-2016, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 170 home fires that started with Christmas trees per year. U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 800 home structure fires per year that began with decorations, excluding Christmas trees.
If you will be decorating for the upcoming holidays, please keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Be careful with holiday decorations.
- Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
Before heading out or to bed, blow out lit candles and turn off all light strings and other decorations. More than a third of home decoration fires are started by candles. Make sure to test your smoke alarms this month! Here are a few more holiday safety tips.