Thanksgiving weekend is a popular time to purchase a Christmas Tree and get the house ready for the holidays. If you will be decorating this weekend, please keep in mind the following safety tips.
- Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire
- Turn off all tree lights and decorations when not in use
- When putting up decorations, use a step stool or ladder to reach high places
- Don't run extension cords through windows or garage doors. Just the littlest crack can expose a home to thieves
- Use battery operated candles instead of open flame candles
Keep these facts in mind when putting up the Christmas Tree:
- Although not common, Christmas Tree fires are more likely to be serious and deadly
- One out of three Christmas Tree fires are caused by electrical problems
- One out of every four fires is caused by a heat source too close to the tree
Please decorate and celebrate safely this holiday weekend!