Posted on May 26, 2021 at 10:05 AM by Maggie Le
On April 28, 2021, the City selected a land use plan that will be the basis of analysis in the Environmental Impact Report (EIR). It took some effort by the GPAC, Planning Commission, and City Council to reach this milestone:
- Largely educational meetings of the GPAC on February 11 and 25 to explain state housing law, the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation of 4,839 units, accessory dwelling units (ADUs), options to accommodate the RHNA allocation, fiscal impacts of different land uses, inclusionary ordinance provisions, and the newly proposed mixed-use and very high density residential land use designations.
- On March 11, 2021, the GPAC reviewed and accepted a land plan that accommodated the RHNA allocation largely on nine separate sites scattered throughout the city.
- At a joint meeting on March 31, 2021, the Planning Commission and City Council provided feedback to explore options that reduce overall density and building height.
- On April 22, 2021, the GPAC considered a revised land use plan reflective of the Planning Commission and City Council direction from March 31. After an in-depth discussion, the GPAC recommended a land plan that largely maintained the plan accepted on March 11, 2021, and incorporated two additional sites (11 total sites).
- At a second joint meeting on April 28, 2021, and after considering several options, the Planning Commission and City Council accepted the version recommended by the GPAC on April 22, with a minor modification, as the plan that will be used as the basis for the EIR.
- Over the next several months, the EIR will be prepared and the GPAC will start working on the text of the General Plan.
- A more detailed schedule and public outreach calendar will be provided in early summer but it is anticipated that adoption hearings will occur in late 2021 and early 2022.
- Details about each of the meetings noted above, draft plans, and educational materials can be found on the City’s website: https://www.fountainvalley.org/1282/General-Plan-Update.