Posted on December 18, 2018 at 3:05 PM by Tonisha Beal
Orange County Community Resources in partnership with the Continuum of Care conduct a Point in Time count every two years in Orange County. The Point in Time count is a national mandate from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for every Continuum of Care in the country. The Point in Time count is intended to obtain an unduplicated number of homeless people in Orange County at a given point in time. The count provides vital information that helps the County better understand homelessness in the community and guides the way the County and its partners respond to homelessness in Orange County.
Orange County will be conducting the 2019 Point in Time count on:
Main Count Day: Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Secondary Count Day: Thursday, January 24, 2019
Volunteers are needed so sign up at https://www.everyonecountsoc.org/. You must be 18-year-old and older to volunteer in the field. High school organization or similar can be organized and volunteer at deployment locations.
Benefits of the Point in Time Count
- Provides the public an opportunity to get involved and learn about homelessness and the available resources and services
- Two days where we will outreach to all the people experiencing homelessness in Orange County
- Opportunity to reconcile and update the Veteran Registry and bring us to one step closer to ending veteran homelessness
- Opportunity to count families experiencing homelessness and connect them to needed resources
Who is involved?
- County of Orange – including Health Care Agency, Social Services Agency, OC Sheriff’s Department, OC Community Resources, OC Parks, OC Public Works, and OC Information & Technology
- City Net – lead agency for unsheltered count
- 2-1-1 Orange County – lead agency for sheltered count
- Hub for Urban Initiatives – HUD methodology and survey tool design
- Continuum of Care Agencies
- Nonprofit and faith-based service providers
- 1st District: OC Community Resources, 1300 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana
- 2nd District: Colette’s Children’s Home, 7372 Prince Dr., Huntington Beach
- 3rd District: South County Outreach, 7 Whatney, Irvine
- 4th District: Magnolia Baptist Church, 720 S. Magnolia Ave., Anaheim
- 5th District: Family Assistance Ministries, 1030 Calle Negocio, San Clemente