Drought Conditions Throughout CaliforniaThe State of California is in a third consecutive year of dry conditions, resulting in continuing drought in all parts of the State. The 21st century to date has been characterized by record warmth and predominately dry conditions, and the summer of 2021 was the hottest on record in California and the rest of the western United States.
On June 21, 2022, the City of Fountain Valley City Council adopted a resolution declaring a Level 2 Water Supply Shortage in response to the ongoing drought conditions, the Governor's Executive Order N-7-22 and the State Water Resources Control Board's emergency regulations.
Based on the City’s annual water supply and demand assessment, a water supply shortage does not exist in the City of Fountain Valley. The City is fortunate to have access to both groundwater from a natural underground aquifer managed by the Orange County Water District and water imported from Northern California and the Colorado River by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. However, we can still do our part to conserve water.
Make Conservation a California Way of Life
Water conservation is the easiest, most efficient, and most cost-effective way to quickly reduce water demand and extend limited water supplies through this summer and into next year. Water saved is water available next year. The more water that is conserved now, the less likely it is that we will experience dire shortages that may require water rationing or other emergency actions in the future. For more information about the Level 2 Water Supply Shortage and the City's current water conservation requirements visit our Water Restrictions page.
Help Save Water - Please Report Water WasteClick HERE to submit a Water Waste Report.
Additional Water Conservation Information
- Water Waste Report - Reports about water waste may be filed in person, by phone during normal business hours or online by clicking this LINK.
- Water Restrictions - Learn about the City's current Water Conservation Regulations and how they affect you.
- FAQs About Water Restrictions - Got questions? Read through our Frequently Asked Questions about the City's Water Conservation Regulations to get answers.
- Water Usage Customer Portal - Monitor your water consumption data online and sign up to receive email alerts.
- Water Efficiency Rebates - Learn about rebates available to help you conserve water and save money.
- Water Conservation Tips - Our water situation is serious, but you can help by following these simple water saving tips.
- Turf Removal - Learn how to dramatically reduce outdoor water use by replacing turf with California friendly plants.
- How to Garden in a Drought - Get some helpful tips on how to help your landscape survive drought conditions and conserve water .
- Lawn Tips in a Drought - Keep you lawn healthy and looking good with these helpful tips.
- Help Trees Survive Drought - Find out how you can help trees during drought conditions.
- Water Supply - Find out where our water supply comes from.
- California State Drought Information Website