- Public Works Department
- Water Division
- Water Restrictions
Water Restrictions - Level 0 Normal Water Supply Conditions
On May 2, 2023, the City of Fountain Valley City Council declared an end to the Level 2 Water Supply Shortage and returned to Level 0 Normal Water Supply Conditions in response to the State's improved water supply conditions and the Governor’s Executive Order N-5-23. As a result, outdoor watering in the City of Fountain Valley is no longer limited to 3 days per week on an assigned schedule.
All water customers are encourage to make conservation a way of life and are required to comply with the City's permanent water conservation requirements. The State's ban on using potable water to irrigate non-functional turf at commercial, industrial and institutional sites remains in effect. See below for more information.
Permanent Water Conservation Requirements - in effect at all times
Fountain Valley has permanent water conservation requirements in place to promote the efficient use of water and reduce or eliminate the waste of water in the City. These requirements are in effect at all times and additional requirements may be implemented in response to water shortages.
- Outdoor watering is prohibited between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except by use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle or device, or for very short periods of time for the express purpose of adjusting or repairing an irrigation system.
- Watering is limited to no more than 15 minutes per station per day.
- Outdoor watering that causes more than incidental water runoff is prohibited.
- Watering during or within 48 hours after measurable rainfall is prohibited.
- No washing down of hard or paved surfaces, including sidewalks, driveways, patios, etc., except when necessary to alleviate safety or sanitary hazards.
- All new plants should be drought tolerant.
- Leaks, breaks or malfunctions must be fixed within 72 hours of notice.
- Fountains and decorative water features must use recirculated water.
- Washing of vehicles is prohibited, except with the use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle, or at a commercial car wash.
- Swimming pools and spas shall not be emptied and refilled except to prevent or repair structural damage or to comply with public health regulations.
- The City is prohibited from watering ornamental turf on public street medians.
- Hotels/Motels must provide the option to not have towels and linens laundered daily.
- Food Service Facilities are required to use water conserving pre-rinse spray valves, serve drinking water only upon request and other miscellaneous requirements.
- For complete details and specific construction related restrictions, refer to FVMC 14.18.040.
Anyone who violates any of the permanent water conservation regulations will be issued a warning for the first violation and will be subject to fines of up to $1,000 for continued violations.
Please note that these restrictions do not apply to the use of recycled water for landscape irrigation. The Fountain Valley Sports Park, Mile Square Park, David L. Baker Golf Course, Mile Square Golf Course, Green Valley Park and Hyundai Motor America all use recycled water for irrigation purposes.
State Ban on the Use of Potable Water to Irrigate Non-functional Turf
at Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Sites
Commercial, Industrial & Institutional (CII) sites, including HOAs, are prohibited from using potable water to irrigate non-functional turf. "Non-functional turf" means turf that is solely ornamental and not regularly used for human recreational purposes or for civic or community events. Non-functional turf does not include sports fields, parks and school fields. Watering of trees and other perennial non-turf plants is allowed.
- What are the City's water restrictions, and how do they apply to me?
- When did the restrictions go into effect?
- What are the specific watering requirements for outdoor landscaping?
- How can I monitor my water usage?
- How will the water restrictions be enforced?
- Do the water restrictions apply to the use of recycled water for irrigation purposes?
- What is non-functional turf?
- What are commercial, industrial and institutional sites?