- Community Development
- Code Enforcement
- Common Code Violations
Common Code Violations
To clarify what is and what is not allowed within the city, the information provided summarizes specific Fountain Valley Municipal Code issues that citizens commonly inquire about.
Real Estate Signs
A Guide to Real Estate Signs
Operating a business from a residence requires a business license and a Home Occupation Permit. Home Occupation Permits may be obtained from the Planning Division. Call the Business License Division at 714-593-4421 for more information on Home-Operated businesses.
Fences & Walls
Side and rear yard fences may not be higher than 6 feet. For lots that back up to arterial roads, block walls may be extended to a height of 8 feet. A building permit is required for all block walls higher than 36 inches.
- Vacant lots must be kept relatively free of weeds
- Weeds and other excess vegetation can pose fire hazards
- Vegetation in residential areas must not hang onto sidewalk/street areas
Temporary Use Permits
Certain outdoor business activities require special city permits (over and above the required business license). Activities requiring such permits are:
- Outdoor Sales and Displays
- Christmas Tree Lots
- Pumpkin Lots
- Special Events
Applicants for Temporary Use Permits (PDF) need to apply in person; permits are usually approved on the same day. The fee ranges from $115-$345 depending on the type of event. A $500 refundable clean-up deposit is required for Christmas Tree Lots, Pumpkin Lots, etc.
Fountain Valley has special requirements for business sign construction and placement. Per city ordinance, applicants must submit an application for city review. For further information, call 714-593-4425.
Temporary BannersBusinesses may display temporary banners up to a maximum size of 45 square feet for a period of 60 days as long as:
- Banners are securely attached to their buildings
- A temporary banner permit has been issued.
Pennants and free-standing banners may not be used in Fountain Valley.
Leaf Blower Time Restrictions
Leaf blowers shall not operate between:
- 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., Monday through Friday
- 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m., Saturday
- No time on Sunday
Delivery is prohibited within 100 feet of a residential zoned property between the hours of
10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. or at any time on Sunday or a legal holiday.
Hours of Construction - Noise
Construction hours are as follows:
- 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturday
- No time on Sunday or legal holidays
- Inoperable vehicles parked on public streets or residential driveways may be cited and/or towed
- Trailers, campers, and boats must be parked on paved surfaces
- In residential zones, campers and trailers may not be used for sleeping quarters