Welcome to Fountain Valley Police Explorer Post # 1007
WHAT IS THE EXPLORER PROGRAM?
Police Explorers work under the guidance of Police Officers who encourage and educate these young women and men by exploring careers including; Police Officer, Dispatcher and Crime Scene Technician (CSI). The Explorer Post is led by Explorers, who serve as Captains, Lieutenants and Sergeants, providing the opportunity to learn basic leadership skills. This is a values and skills based program where Explorers learn the importance of honesty, discipline and responsibility, while learning police procedures. The goal of the program is to prepare Explorers to successfully achieve a Law Enforcement career.
The Fountain Valley Police Explorer Post is a member of the Orange County Law Enforcement Explorer Advisor Association.
WHAT DOES A POLICE EXPLORER LEARN?
· Police Department Mission and Values Statement
· Police Procedures including; Felony Vehicle Stops, Handcuffing, Traffic Control, Arrest and Control Techniques, Building Search Techniques and Report Writing
· Criminal Codes including; California Penal, Vehicle, and Health and Safety Codes
· Police Radio Codes and Radio Procedure
· Community service to enhance life experience, character development and teamwork
WHAT DOES A POLICE EXPLORER DO?
· Wears an Explorer Uniform
· Completes the Explorer Academy
· Attends bi-weekly training meetings
· Participates in physical fitness training
· Participates in mock scenario training such as vehicle stops and interview techniques
· Goes on ride-a-longs with Police Officers
· Assists Officers at DUI checkpoints, National Night Out and Summerfest
· Participates in “fun
nights” designed to encourage social skills
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION?
Explorers meet at the Fountain Valley Police Department the 1st and 3rd Mondays each month from 5-7pm. Participation is at the recommendation of the Explorer Advisor and at the discretion of the Chief of Police. Since an Explorer represents the City of Fountain Valley, they must demonstrate good moral character and have refrained from behavior that would bring discredit to the Department.
Explorers are provided with a uniform, but must pay a one-time participation fee of $25.00 as part of registration.
Contact Officer Bill Hughes for more information.
Explorer Applicant Requirements: · Between the ages of 14 and 20 · Live in the local area or attend a local school · Submit to a criminal background check · Demonstrate a desire to succeed, respect for authority and good judgment
Explorer Applicant Requirements:
· Between the ages of 14 and 20
· Live in the local area or attend a local school
· Submit to a criminal background check
· Demonstrate a desire to succeed, respect for authority and good judgment
DO YOU STILL THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
If you are ready to begin your adventure as a Fountain Valley Police Explorer, you must fill out a Fountain Valley Police Explorer Application after attending a minimum of two (2) meetings as an observer. Your journey begins here. Only a few will succeed. Your “interview” to become a future Police Officer begins the moment you show up. Good luck!