Application & Forms
Our building permit application and several handouts/reference materials are available online.
Plan size minimum is 18 inches by 24 inches and the maximum plan size is 24 inches by 36 inches.
When Permits Are Required
Permits are required when any owner, contractor, or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, covert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permits.
Work Exempt From Permits
- One story detached accessory building used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet and the ceiling height is not over 7 feet. Check with Planning Department for setback requirement.
- Fences not over 6 feet high and block walls not over 3 feet
- Oil derricks
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding a Class I, II or III-A liquids
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
- Temporary motion picture, televisions, and theater stage sets and scenery
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached 1- and 2-family dwellings
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of GroupR-3 and U occupancies
- Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counter, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high
Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction