The Human Resources Department's Mission Statement is:
To provide excellent and highly responsive professional services to all customers; sustain cooperative working relationships; provide accurate and timely information; deliver innovative and timely services and to provide leadership in all personnel and employment matters; attracting and retaining a highly talented and qualified workforce to meet the needs of the organization and helping to provide a safe work environment.
The department is responsible for providing human resources management to all City of Fountain Valley employees. It is our primary goal to recruit and maintain a highly skilled and qualified workforce.
To accomplish this, our department offers a number of services to all our employees which include:
- Recruitment and Selection: Serves as the lead in the recruitment process to administer the application, testing and pre-employment processes. Working in conjunction with other departments/divisions, the Human Resources Department strives to attract, hire and retain qualified individuals and place them in positions with responsibilities that allow them to maximize their skills, knowledge and talents.
- Labor Relations: Administers the City’s labor relations with its seven recognized employee bargaining units and non-represented employees including negotiations, drafting and interpreting Memorandum of Understanding as needed and maintaining effective working relationships with labor associations.
- Employee Relations: Administer the performance evaluation process and provide guidance and assistance to supervisors with employee performance and disciplinary issues, manage and resolve employee grievances.
- Classification and Compensation: Maintain the City’s classification plan to ensure job descriptions accurately reflect the duties, responsibilities and qualifications necessary, and as needed conduct labor market studies of compensation to be used as the basis for labor negotiations.
- Employee Benefits: Administer the medical, dental, life insurance, long-term disability, retirement and supplemental benefit programs offered to City employees, host an annual Employee Health Fair, and administration of the Workers’ Compensation program to ensure timely medical treatment for employees injured on the job.
- Leave Administration: Administer and advise employees on leaves available to them including Family Care and Medical Leave, Pregnancy Disability and Military Leave.
- Employee Development: Provides an extensive employee training program tailored to meet the needs of the employee to not only provide tools necessary for effective performance of their job but also in preparation for advancement.
- Safety: Administer the safety, training and accident prevention program, identifying and implementing safety improvement opportunities to ensure employees have a safe work environment.
- Employee Recognition: The City has a number of programs recognizing employees for their service, accomplishments, exceptional performance and suggestions.
- Employee Engagement: The E.A.T. (Employee Activities Team) is a group of employees who plan and host a variety of employee events including an annual summer barbecue, Super Bowl tailgate luncheon, salsa contest and Halloween costume contest.